Garden Fresh Tomato Sauce
326 Views Posted on: October 24th 2017
- - 4 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- - 3/4 c. Sweet onion, finely chopped
- - 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- - 2 1/2 lb. ripe tomatoes, prepared
- - Sea salt & black pepper
- - 1 Bunch basil, minced (about 10 leaves)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Prepare the tomatoes by cutting an X into the stem end then drop them into the boiling water for 2-3 minutes or until you see the skins begin to slip off.
- Transfer the tomatoes to a colander in the sink and run cold water over them until they are cool enough to handle.
- Use a small, sharp knife and peel off the skins and cut in half. Cut out the small core and then use your fingertips to scoop out most of the seeds. Cut the tomatoes into thin strips or coarse dice.
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat until sizzling, then cook the onion, stirring often, until it is translucent. add the garlic and cook a minute or two or just until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, and half the basil and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Stir in the remaining basil.
This sauce can be stored in glass jars until ready to use. Add beef or chicken to provide protein with your dinner. Use to top your favourite cooked pasta!
Leave a comment
Log in to post comments